After my first son was born, I was in the dark about postpartum depression and any other postpartum issues– I had to basically google and educate myself. I left the hospital, both times, with a million papers about breast-feeding and safe-sleeping for the baby, but nothing about taking care of me, the mother. That is why I wanted to write up a list of postpartum resources that every mom needs.
We really need to do better when it comes to mothers and postpartum health. We need to offer all of the resources that we can to every mother but more importantly, we need to support mothers, too.
If you’re about to be a new mama or someone close to you is pregnant, you will want to save this post because it will have SO much valuable information.
My youngest is over a year old now, but I vividly remember how overwhelming the first couple of weeks are with a newborn. It’s a tiring transition! In fact, as a mother, we focus all of our time and energy into our precious newborn baby that we lose sight of what’s just as important: us!
Phone numbers and support hot lines:
Suicide Prevention and Crisis Hotline:
1 (800) 273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline:
1 (800) 273-8255
“ANSWER” to 839863
24/7/365 Crisis Hotline
Call: 1 (800) 273-8255
Text: “ANSWER” to 839863
- The PSI HelpLine is a toll-free telephone number anyone can call to get basic information, support, and resources- 1-800-944-4773(4PPD)
- Text the warmline at: 503-894-9453
A list of support organizations and health providers:
- A list of organizations that offer support for postpartum depression or postnatal illness support in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, Scotland, Ireland, and South Africa:
- A resource from postpartumprogress.com that assembles a specific list of more than 100 female black mental health providers around the U.S.
A list of resources for postpartum depression:
A list of resources for postpartum anxiety:
Other postpartum and mental health resources:
Facebook support groups:
Postpartum Depression & Anxiety Support Group
Support Group for Depression, Anxiety and Postpartum
PostPartum/ Depression/Anxiety Support Group
The Postpartum Stress Center
Pregnancy and Postpartum Depression or Anxiety Support
Articles helpful for postpartum issues:
Support for husbands/partners:
- Tips for Postpartum Dads and Partners- http://www.postpartum.net/family/tips-for-postpartum-dads-and-partners/
- Do you have a helpful postpartum resource that you would like listed here? Please let me know.
- Do you have a postpartum issue that you want to share or just talk about? I am here for that. I am a trustful and supported source.