My boys are growing so fast and it’s no secret that one day, they will be men. I’ll be sending them off into this big & scary world and that is pretty terrifying.
I have so much to teach my sons and so much that I want them to learn. If I had to give them some rules, these would be it.
I know that I left out a lot, but here are a couple that I had no trouble writing down.
1. Live everyday with a full heart and open mind.
2. Remember that every choice comes with a consequence…and a reputation.
3. Always hold the door open for other people but especially a lady.
4. Open your girlfriend’s car door. Chivalry is not dead.
5. If she says that nothing is wrong…don’t believe her. Ask her. Listen.
6. You can catch more flies with honey then with vinegar.
7. Whatever you post on the internet is there forever..even if you erase it. Don’t be foolish.
8. Sit with the new kid at lunch.
9. If it’s something that doesn’t feel right, it isn’t. Always trust your gut.
10. Nothing good ever happens after 1AM.
11. Video games are not your life. Get outside.
12. Hard work is the foundation to a successful life.
13. Put the toilet seat down every-time. I don’t want to fall in the toilet at 4AM.
14. Don’t drink or drive or get in the car with anyone that was drinking. If you need a ride, call me. No questions asked. I just want you safe.
15. Always shake hands with a stranger when you meet them. And look them in the eye.
16. The women you choose to marry will be my daughter-in-law and holds the foundation for our relationship. Please, choose her wisely.
17. You can’t love someone else if you don’t love yourself. Work on that first.
18. Your teenage years will probably be the most awkward and dreaded of your life, but I promise you, they go by fast & there’s better stuff ahead. Hang in there.
19. Play at least one sport or extra-circular activity.
20. College isn’t for everyone and I don’t want you to feel pressured to go…trade-schools are amazing and there’s nothing wrong with working with your hands.
21. Save your money. You’ll be glad you did. You don’t need that new cell-phone or TV.
22. I won’t always be around to make your meals & clean your clothes. So learn how to do those things. It will also make your future wife happy.
23. A simple smile & hello go a long way. Be kind for no reason.
24. There’s nothing that a cup of coffee or a run can’t fix.
25. If you ever have babies, just change the damn diapers. You saw what she had to go through.
26. Treat your girlfriend/wife like the Queen she is.
27. If you’re bored, find me. I’ll give you something to do.
28. Your never too old to follow your dreams. Never say never.
29. Watch football with your dad, even if you hate it. You’ll be glad that you did one day.
30. Take as many pictures as you can. One day, it will be all that’s left of someone.
31. If you love someone, tell them. Never leave them guessing.
32. If you have more than one girlfriend at a time and bring them home, you better believe that I’ll call them the wrong name on purpose. Don’t be a jerk.
33. You may fight with your brother and disagree but in the end remember, you two are all you have.
34. I brought you into this world and I can take you out of it. Your never too old for a whoopin’.
35. Please remember the important dates: anniversaries, birthdays, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day. And a simple phone call goes a long way.
36. Don’t be cheap. Splurge a little. You can’t take it with you when you go.
37. Consent is a two-way street. Don’t be a jerk.
38. Put your phone down and take a look at the world around you.
39. Go on Sunday drives just because.
40. Little notes and compliments go a lot farther than chocolate and roses.
41. Nobody likes a cocky person. Get off your high-horse.
42. Nobody wants to be friends with the guy that talks about himself. Listen to other people, too.
43. Don’t get too high on the bottle.
44. A true friend is rare and extremely hard to find. Keep them close.
45. Brush your teeth every-day. Mouthwash and gum doesn’t count.
46. I want to hear from you, so call me. I might be missing you.
47. Never raise a hand to a women. I don’t care the circumstance.
48. Water is extremely important so drink it.
49. School doesn’t define you, but it will set the way for your future. Please try.
50. Life won’t hand you what you want. You need to work for it.
51. Money isn’t everything. Learn to enjoy the simple things in life because as you get older, that’s what you want.
52. Sitting home on a Friday night with your parents isn’t uncool.
53. Don’t do something to fit in. It’s pretty cool to stand out & say no.
54. Be nice to your teachers. They deal with you & about fifty other little turds.
55. Never let the gas tank go passed half.
56. Ketchup can go on eggs. Don’t listen to your father.
57. Whenever you get annoyed by me, remember that you used to always follow me in the bathroom.
58. Just wake up with the baby and let her sleep. She will be forever grateful.
59. Manners are still a thing- never forget them.
60. Listen to the stories of people older than you. They have a lot of wisdom & you can learn something from them.
61. That job that your killing yourself for- that company can replace you in a week. Don’t make it your life.
62. Clean out your fridge once a month. You never know what’s growing in there.
63. Reading for fun is possible. Make yourself get lost in a book. And women like smart men.
64. Bubble baths are not just for women. Learn how to relax. You’ll feel better.
65. Just let her shop and don’t roll your eyes. And carry the bags.
66. There’s nothing better than the love of a pet. Adopt, don’t shop. There’s plenty of animals that need a forever home.
67. There’s nothing better then a sense of humor.
68. Learn to laugh at your imperfections. Don’t take yourself so seriously.
69. Stand up for what you believe in, even if no one else believes it.
70. Bring her coffee and breakfast in bed.
71. Communication is the key to a strong relationship. Talk.
72. If you see it happening, that’s just as bad as doing it. Stop it or walk away.
73. Your never too old to go on the swings at the park.
74. Have goals in life.
75. A man is as only as strong as his word.
76. Your heart will get broken and it will feel horrible. I’ll be here to pick up the pieces & to let you know: you’ll be okay.
77. Own at least one nice dress shirt, a pair of khakis & dress shoes. You never know when you’ll need them.
78. Clean up after your messes. Nobody likes a slob.
79. Your never too old to kiss your mother.
80. Spread your wings & fly…there’s a big world out there and you will do great things. But home will always be there for you. Always.